Total Pageviews

Monday, September 12, 2022

Roast Chicken and my Dad - an inseparable pair :)

 Reading my dad's journal, I have been amused and curious to find 'Roast Chicken' mentioned a countless times. His journal had covered the first few years of the '70s. On every special day that called for a celebration, Roast Chicken was the guest of honour it seemed. This meant no birthday, no small celebration nor a once in a while meal out was complete without his favourite dish. 

He writes of a famous restaurant in the city from where it seemed he's had the most servings of his beloved dish. Since it was obvious that this was his favourite dining house, from which he seemed to have a serving of his prized dish, I had to check it out myself. 

I chose to visit the restaurant on his birthday through sheer curiosity. I may have passed this famous restaurant countless times, without giving much thought to the bond it had created with my dad. But i had never dined here. The place had lost some of its 70's charm compared to the 70's although it was still a decent place to have a sit down meal. 

They only had their prized biriyani with 2 types of chicken offered. One was curry and the other roasted. I had to see how it all looked after assembling the portions. I ordered a complete portion which came in the form of an upturned bowl full of rice, a boiled egg sitting right on top and a generous slab of roast chicken placed on the side. The accompaniments included spicy chicken curry gravy and mint sambol. 

The portion was way too large for me. I served a tablespoon of the savoury rice on half plate and sampled it. It was good considering today's ridiculously prized food standards and their ability to still serve such a dish. I got the rest of the food - rice, chicken, egg and all of the spicy gravy packed as a take away and thought I would let a deserving person relish the complete biriyani. Maybe I will find someone on the way ?

I stepped out holding the packed biriyani carefully rolling my eyes to spot that deserving someone. It should not be too difficult to figure out who should get it, in these times I thought to myself. Sure enough, there was a homeless woman with 2 kids housed in a run down overhead bridge. I was glad, there are kids in this short term happy picture as well. I went over to them and slowly placed the pack on her mat and wished for them to enjoy the meal together. 

I know having a fancy meal for just one day and then go hungry the next day is not the answer to solve hunger. But making someone's day special with stuff they usually cannot afford to have is adding a little magic in someone's life. At least this is the way I see it. 

Dad I can't seem to find your reviews for roast chicken in your journal. I am curious to know which is your best choice, the one mom makes for you (best bet) or the one you got at the restaurant ?

Enjoy your birthday up in your world Dad

Until I see you in the world beyond !



No comments: